Recycalyse will mainly focus on two objectives:
1. Develop and manufacture highly active sustainable oxygen evolution catalysts that will reduce or eliminate the use of Critical Raw Materials.
2. Establish a recycling scheme for proton exchange membrane electrolyser catalysts, electrodes and overall systems. By implementing the recovered elements in the new developed catalysts, dependence on materials import in Europe is reduced or avoided, thus reaching a full circular economy.
- Improve technical and economic competitiveness of EU stationary energy conversion
- Reduce CO2 emissions by enabling low-carbon energy conversion
- Improve the levelized costs of energy conversion
RECYCALYSE will disrupt the energy storage market through the development and manufacture of highly active sustainable oxygen evolution catalysts, and through a recycling scheme for proton exchange membrane electrolysers catalysts, electrodes and overall system. RECYCALYSE’s innovations will contribute to reduce or avoid dependence on materials imports in Europe, by implementing the recovered elements in the newly developed catalysts.
To achieve the objectives of RECYCALYSE, the project has been partitioned into four main technical topics supported by an outreach and business development topic. The four technical topics are: materials, fabrication, demonstration and circular economy. In the Materials topic, new electrocatalytic active sites will be designed and developed using abundant elements that are available in Europe, minimising or avoiding, if possible, the use of Critical Raw Materials. Furthermore, new support structures for the catalytic sites will be developed. The Fabrication topic will contain both combined catalyst production methods as well as electrode fabrication for membrane electrode assemblies and single cell tests.